Save gas now with these helpful tips:
With the price of gasoline today, the subject of fuel economy has become more important. Here at Martocci Automotive, we have made a checklist of a few of the most important factors in maximizing your MPG's. If you have any questions, please feel free to call us.
- Maintain proper air pressure in your tires: Think of how much harder a bicycle is to pedal with low tire pressure. Well, your car has to work harder when its tires are lower too. Of course when it works harder to go the same distance, it uses more gas. Proper tire pressure can improve your mileage by up to 3%.
- Regularly check and replace dirty air filters: An air filter that is clogged with dirt, dust and bugs chokes off the air and creates a “rich” fuel mixture. This means too much fuel is burned for the amount of air. Replacing a clogged air filter can improve gas mileage by as much as 10%.
- Keep your car’s engine properly tuned: A well tuned engine delivers the best balance of power and fuel economy. Having your tune-up components such as spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc. replaced when needed can improve gas mileage by as much as 4%.
- Don't be an aggressive driver: Aggressive driving can lower gas mileage by as much as 33% on the highway and 5% on city streets.
- Avoid excessive idling: Sitting idle gets zero miles per gallon. Letting the vehicle warm up for one to two minutes is sufficient. You can use more gas by idling for one minute than you would by turning off the engine then restarting it a minute later.
- Observe the speed limit: Gas mileage decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 mph. Each mpg driven over 60 will result in an additional 10 cents per gallon. To maintain a constant speed on the highway, cruise control is recommended.
- Combining errands into one trip saves gas and time: Several short trips taken from a cold start can use twice as much fuel as a longer multi-purpose trip covering the same distance.
- Avoid carrying unneeded heavy items in the trunk: An extra 100 pounds can cut fuel efficiency by a percent or two.
- All of the above. One of these tips can help increase your mileage. When you use many or all of them, you can significantly increase your mileage and save.